Intrauterine devices, abbreviated as IUDs, have been growing more and more popular among American women over the last few years. Liletta is both highly effective and lasts for 3-5 years, making it an excellent option for those considering a long-lasting form of birth control!
Of course, before you run in to your OBGYN’s office to get this IUD, there are a few other key points that you should know about Liletta.
Liletta’s Biggest Advantages to Note
We have already discussed how successful Liletta is at preventing unwanted pregnancy for up to 5 years, but there are also a number of other great benefits to opting for this particular contraceptive, such as:
- It’s convenient: Women only need to have Dr. Wright insert their IUD once every 3-5 years to be 99% protected from unwanted pregnancy. No daily pills, and no daily maintenance!
- It’s discreet: Liletta is such a tiny device that neither you nor your partner will be able to feel it during intercourse. If the strings of the device are too long and become noticable, Dr. Wright can shorten them to make each of you more comfortable during sex.
- It does not contain estrogen: Many women are unable to use estrogen releasing contraceptives, which makes Liletta an incredible alternative to consider.
- It’s safe to use while breastfeeding: Because Liletta releases a very low dose of progesterine rather than the female sex hormone estrogen, it has been approved for use once a women reaches 6 weeks postpartum.
- It’s good for women who have or have not given birth: Some IUDs are designed specifically for use by women who have had children. Liletta is small enough to be used by both of these demographics without significant discomfort during the insertion process.
- It can be removed at any time: If patients wish to go off of their birth control, they simply need to schedule an appointment at The Wright Center for Women’s Health to have Liletta removed. This is especially helpful for those who may want to start a family later on in life.
- It’s ideal for all ages: Whether you are a teen or mature adult, Liletta can offer the same level of effectiveness.
- It can make your period more manageable: Contraceptives of all types are known to ease the symptoms of a woman’s menstrual cycle. Balancing out a patient’s hormone levels can also help relieve other common side effects, like acne and weight gain.
Risks of Using Liletta
No medication or IUD comes without any potential risks, but Liletta is associated with much fewer likely side effects. Even so, it is important that every patient consider these risks before she elects to have Liletta inserted.
A majority of these side effects relate to possible complications that can arise from IUD insertion, including:
- Inflammation and infection
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Perforation or expulsion
More common, and less severe complications associated with Liletta are:
- Pain during sex
- Sensitivity of the breasts
- Stomach pain
- Pelvic pain
- Increased frequency of headaches or migraines
- Sudden changes in mood
- Pelvic cramping
- Irregular menses
- Heavier menses in some cases (Paraguard)
Removal of the Liletta IUD is typically all that is needed in order to relieve a patient’s negative side effects. Be sure to contact The Wright Center for Women’s Health immediately if you begin to experience abnormal symptoms following your IUD insertion.